Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Survey of 2013

It's New Years Eve.  I used to work with a woman who always used to say "Time goes by faster as you get closer to the end."  While I tend not to be as fatalistic as my former co-worker, I definitely have a better understanding of why she used to say that so often than I did five years ago when I first heard her say it.  I know that, in reality, the seconds, minutes, and hours do not pass by any faster than they ever have, but there's no denying that it certainly seems that way.  Time perception is complicated.  I could put together a whole other post about it, but fortunately, someone else already did.

Anyway, 2013 flew the fuck by.   I was inspired by a friend's post to do an end of the year survey.  I found a list of questions that I liked and here we are.  I'm trying to hold back a little less in my posts than I have been, so if shit gets rugged, I'm not sorry, I only speak (and write) the truth.  Happy New Year!

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
I road tripped to Canada, I got into grad school, I had lobster tail (random), I was in a wedding, I went to a bunch of new restaurants, I went apple picking.  There is surely more, but I did so many new things that I don't even remember what they all were offhand and I don't want to be here all day.

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I didn't really make any resolutions.  And I guess if I did, I clearly didn't follow through if I can't remember having made them.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No. A few couples got engaged and married, but no babies yet.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5.  What countries did you visit?
Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013?
More sleep, more time.

7. What date from 2013 will remain etched in your memory and why?
September 18.  Got accepted to grad school.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting into grad school, followed closely by getting into the ICCAs (an a cappella competition) with my singing group.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I didn't get nearly enough sleep this year.  But then again, you can sleep when you're dead, and I don't want to die anytime soon. I have lots to do.

10. Did you suffer any illness or injury?
No, aside from a few colds and a GI bug. 

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new bed.  I love my bed, it is a nice place.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
There are so many people who are good to me and were there for me at many points and for many reasons all year.  I don't like to name people on this blog (public forum), but I have great friends.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed?
It's all water under the bridge. I am forgiving, perhaps to a fault.

14. Where did most of your money go?
It went toward bills, living expenses, good food, friends' weddings (travel, gifts, etc), and a few little vacations.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
Grad school.  It's a lot of work, but I like my program.

16.  What song will always remind you of 2013?
"Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Rey, mainly because of my drunken rendition during a night out for a friend's bachelorette in August.  Miami gives me summer fever (is that a thing? it should be and I'm making it so).  That was a good trip.

17. Compared to this time last year are you:
  • happier or sadder?  much happier
  • thinner or fatter?  the same (and that's okay)
  • richer or poorer?  richer 
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? 
Swimming.  I love swimming but the pool hours weren't compatible with my schedule, especially in the latter part of the year.

19.  What do you wish you'd done less of?
Letting exhaustion get the best of me.  While it was justified for me to be tired (work, school, singing), I wish I hadn't been.

20.  How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
I haven't decided yet.  Spontaneity can be fun (the only thing that I need to plan ahead is having the champagne).

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Love is a strong word.



23. What was your favorite TV show?
I don't watch a lot of TV, but I did watch Mad Men on Netflix.

24. Do you hate anyone now who you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word.  I don't hate people because that implies that I care too much.  I tend to prefer indifference.  Fortunately, I haven't been compelled to feel indifferent toward anyone new this year.

25. What was the last book you read?
Lean In.  I'm halfway through "Wonder Women: Sex, Power, and the Quest for Perfection" by Deborah Spar.  I'm a feminist, clearly.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I am liking Lana Del Rey's music.  "The Fox" by Ylvis gets an honorable mention here.

27.  What did you want and get?
I got into an MBA program. 

28.  What did you want and not get?
If I share, I might not get it. ;)

29.  What was your favorite film of the year?
The Wolf of Wall Street.  It was the first movie I'd seen in theaters in awhile and I was entertained.  It was raunchy as hell though.  It doesn't sit well that the guy sold the rights to this film and is still making money off all of this but it is what it is. 

I wanted so badly for my favorite to be the Baz Luhrmann remake of Gatsby, but unfortunately it can't be.  While it was visually stunning, it failed to capture the darkness of the original book and its characters and romanticized the story to a point where it was nearly unrecognizable.

It's pure coincidence that the protagonist in each film is played by Leonardo DiCaprio.  Unrelated, it blows my mind that he's almost forty.  I feel like I was just in the 5th Grade talking about Jack Dawson in Titanic. dreamy.

30.  What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 26.  I went to work, I went to rehearsal, and I went to dinner with a friend.  I threw a big party a few weeks later and it was everything I wanted.

31.  What one thing would have made your year immeasurably satisfying?
I don't know if anything would have made my year "immeasurably satisfying" as I would say that 2013 was more than satisfactory for me.  I guess I could say I'd have liked more money so I could do all the traveling I wanted and also redecorate my room to my liking.  Money doesn't buy happiness, though.

32.  How would you describe you personal fashion in 2013?
More put together.  Better hair, better clothes and purses, nicer makeup.

33.  What kept you grounded?
My friends - fun nights out and weekend trips to anywhere! :-)

34.  Who was your celebrity crush?
Don Draper (John Hamm).  I'd tap that.

35.  What political issue stirred you the most?
Obamacare (I'm for it), followed by wealth disparity.  I don't like to talk politics because I argue hard and I get very heated.  I would surely lose friends if I did it too often.

36. Who did you miss?
I missed a few people, family especially, but it's easier to deal with when I stay busy.

37.  Who was the best new person you met?
ooo that's tough, I don't like to pick favorites!

38.  What is a valuable lesson that you learned in 2013?
I question whether anyone truly grows up. 

39.  Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Write what you want, say what you want about me
If you're wondering, know that I'm not sorry.

2 comments:

  1. This was fun to read. And fun to see which numbers were missing. I thought about completing this, but this year it wasn't for me. Maybe next year :) - looking forward to seeing you in January!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to publish question number #22 but we shall see, i may add it back in! Otherwise, ask me when I see you!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...