Monday, February 11, 2013

It's the night before Mardi Gras....

I will not be twerkin like Beyonce anytime soon
(img from vanityfair.com)
There's something about the winter time that makes me want to curl up with a blanket, sit in front of the tv, and eat really disgustingly unhealthy food.  Fortunately for me, I cooked way too much food on Super Bowl Sunday - last week was actually "Super Bowl Week."  I had so much in the way of leftovers that it took me a full seven days to eat through all of it.  It was a seven day tour de force in which I watched the chicken wings, bacon-wrapped hot dogs, and home made pizza (which were amazing if I do say so myself) go straight to my ass, dashing my hopes of working it like Beyonce did during that halftime show. 

On the bright side, I only spent about $14 all week on outside meals.  Suze Orman would be proud.

This year has been flying the fuck by (somehow we're midway through February already), and it has not-so-subtly been brought to my attention that tomorrow is Mardi Gras.  Once we get past all the commercial, titty-flashing, bead-wearing circus that it is, my inner guilty Catholic self is reminded that the following day is Ash Wednesday...which means that I will inevitably fail at going to church, but will feebly attempt to observe Lent (which is the least I can do since the whole point of the Lenten season is to reflect on how Jesus died for our sins).

The past few years have been somewhat intense for me.  Admittedly, I'm not the best of Catholics, and I put forth no pretenses about it.  I try to make an effort to observe Lent, but I've failed miserably in the last few years.

This year, I'm going to try and do it right.  I'll start by admitting that I can't promise that I'll remember not to eat meat on Friday: despite my best efforts, I always forget that it's Friday and realize that I shouldn't be eating any meat once I'm a few ravenous monster bites into a roast beef sandwich.  But this year, I want to task myself with something that I know will be difficult for me to accomplish, but that will ultimately and hopefully result in something good.

My week of consuming Super Bowl leftovers gave me a great idea.  This Lent, I will aim to practice consumption.  But not in the way that we think of when we look to the very American way of "consumption" as in buying too much shit that we don't need and letting the nice people at fast food and casual dining establishments cook all of our meals.

This Lent, I am going to make a pointed effort to only use items and eat foods that I have previously purchased and which are already in my home.  

When I got home tonight from class and work, I opened up my cupboards and took a close look at what food I already have here.  I realized that I have at least a month's supply of food horded away (non-perishable stuff).  There is absolutely no reason that I should be purchasing any more food (outside of perishable vegetables).  Looking at my room, I have more clothing, makeup, soaps, and lotions than I could hope to go through in a year.  I can find few reasons to go out and buy anything else.  I have enough wine and liquor to get smashed with every night if I wanted to for at least a month. I don't consider myself to lead a life of excess, but in terms of material things, I have everything I need.  I enjoy buying things as much as the next girl, but I don't need anything.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras.  After tomorrow, this Lenten season will be an exercise in restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...